Agriculture is one of the many industries that can get huge benefits from new IoT & AI technology
Have you been hearing about the smart agriculture or wondering how invaluable it can be to your farming activities? Whichever the case may be, the IoT (Internet of Things) and AI (Artificial Intelligence) is the number one solution that enables both commercial and local farmers to contend with the series of challenges they face.
Speaking of challenges, the farming Industry is projected to become more important than it ever was in the next few decades.
According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, the entire world will need to produce up to 70% more food in 2050 to conveniently feed the growing population of the Earth.
Furthermore, the industry must do all they possibly can to overcome limited availability of lands, difficult to manage costs and increasing water.
The good news is, new technology as IoT & AI can address these issues and lead to greater production capabilities. Agriculture is one of the many industries that can get tons of benefits from the technology thanks to its ability to accelerate data gathering and automation.
For instance, the technology can help both large and local farms to monitor and collect data for soil moisture, air temperature, crop growth, air temperature, livestock feed levels, sunlight intensity and more — all these work together to boost the efficiency and crop yield. Moreover, as the world population grows, farming and food production will have to increase along with it, and that’s exactly where it comes into play. For the most part, low-cost sensors, IoT & AI Cloud platforms and data insights are sure to come in handy for this increase in production and efficiency.
That’s not all! Incorporating this relatively new technology to agriculture will also give farmers the opportunity to remotely manage and control their smart connected irrigation equipment and harvesters. They’ll also get to make use of artificial intelligence based analytics to quickly examine operational data that work in line with third party information to provide excellent insights and improve decision making.
Here’s a quick run-through of some amazing benefits you get to have when you implement a smart agriculture solution:
- Real-time data and production insight
- The insight from sensors gives farmers the opportunity to visualize soil moisture, production levels and sunlight intensity in real-time so they can quickly make decisions to improve any unfavorable situation.
- Boost in production
- Improved and automated crop treatment including efficient planting, watering, pesticide application and harvesting have a direct effect on production rates, and that’s huge.
- Cheaper operation costs
- When you automate processes in planting, treatment, and harvesting, you’ll get to reduce human error, unnecessary resource consumption, and overall cost.
- Better Livestock Farming
- Sensors and machines are to come in handy when it comes to detecting health issues and reproduction in animals in record time. Moreover, geofencing location tracking can play a significant role in livestock monitoring and management.
- Perfect farm and field evaluation
- Implementing a Smart agriculture solution will also enable farmers to track production rates by field over time accurately — this, in turn, allows for detailed prediction of future crop yield and overall value of the farm.
- Remote Monitoring
- Both local and commercial farmers can monitor multiple fields regardless of wherever they are around the globe. In essence, important decisions can be made in an instant and from anywhere.
- There are also other great benefits you stand to gain from smart agriculture including reduced environmental footprint, better quality of production, optimized equipment monitoring, etc.
With all that has been said, it’s clear to see that new technology is set to push the future of farming to the next level. It’s pretty clear that the agriculture industry can reap loads of benefits from the implementation of an IoT and AI solution or platform. It’s time to implement a smart agriculture solution so you can start reaping the excellent benefits it offers. The best part? You’ll get to play a role in feeding the growing population of the world and also reduce environmental footprint while you’re at it — what could be better?